Friday

I know, I know.....just what you folks who read my blog are going to say........hey I thought you were writing a recipe blog...but there are some things that are nice to share..and I wanted to share what I spoke at a symposioum where the subjects were motherhood and working woman. I spoke on motherhod and what I spoke is given below. I think I spoke straight from my heart.

MOTHERHOOD – REDEFINED
THE CHANGING ROLES OF THE MOTHER
Raising children is like a multiple choice test as no new mother really knows anything. One child may respond well to positive thinking , another needs a stern voice and another a different approach altogether. Every part of raising children is a humbling experience….as it will be YOU who will be making the mistakes. The outbursts, the temper – tantrums…..yours mostly….not theirs. What were you really thinking ?
Reams and reams have been written on this subject and as new mothers we have even pored over those books…….but there is something I want to share…that all these books don’t tell you and that is THAT WE MOTHERS DO NOT LIVE THE MOMENT ENOUGH. This is particularly clear to me now that the moment is gone and my SON AND DAUGHTER are all grown up. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to move on to the next job. I wish that I had treasured the doing WITH THEM more and the…. getting it done ………less.
Even today I’m not sure what worked and what didn’t…what was due to me and what was simply life. When they were small, I thought that someday they would become who they are ---- because of what I’d done !!! Now I suspect they simply grew into their true selves because they demanded in a thousand ways that I back off ……and let them be.
The books tell you so many things – to be a relaxed mother,etc, and I was always tense and way over the top. But just look at how it has all turned out. I wound up with the 2 people I like best in the whole world and it is they who have helped me to become a good human being. The books never told me that ?????
I am now determined to learn only from experts……….but it took me a while to figure out just who the experts were !!!!!!
I would now like to read out a poem which puts parenting in its right perspective. The words say it all:
“Little Eyes See a Lot”. A message every adult should read, because your children are watching you……… and doing as you do …………not as you say.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and… I learned ………..that it was good ..to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make my favourite cake for me…… and I learned……that the little things can be the special things in life.
When you thought I wasn't looking,……. I heard you say a prayer,…… and I knew there is a God I could always talk to to………….and I learned to trust in GOD!!!
When you thought I wasn’t looking, ……..I saw you give of your time and money…….. to help people who had nothing and I learned……..that those who have something ……..should give to those who don't.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house……. and everyone in it ……..and I learned that….. we have to take care of what we are given.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw……… when you thought I wasn't looking."
Each one of us influences the life of a child. And I now understand that whatever I am today and whatever parenting skills I have imbibed…… are what I learnt from watching my mother…….when she thought I wasn’t looking !

No comments:

Post a Comment