Thursday

MANGO CHUTNEY - MY MOM'S RECIPE

I make this chutney every year from the mangoes on my trees.....and share it will all who
come my way the whole year. I now share this recipe with my readers on Rodas-recipes.

1 kg green mangoes
700 gms sugar
200 gms jaggery
chilli powder as hot as you want it
1/2 bottle white vinegar
salt to taste

As with all bottling...........the quality of the raw ingredients always matters the most. Really good quality green mangoes just about turning a mild yellow work best.......as they are then firm but not too green and they have the heady aroma of a good quality fruit. In any thing I make and do the one thing I always focus on..... is quality .......of all ingredients used.......and by that I mean freshness.
If you use a tupperware vegetable peeler......peeling the toughest vegetable is a piece of cake..as they use surgical steel, so just peel away the mangoes and grate.
(If by chance the mangoes you are using are very acid........they can be improved upon.........simply add a little water to the grated mango and squeeze. If you do this.....then you need to dry the mango in a little sun for about 2 hours.)
Meanwhile in a big pan pour the vinegar sugar and jaggery. Boil this till it is slightly thick. Add the grated mango salt, chilli powder. Stir till reasonably dry. Cool and bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment