Wednesday

STRAWBERRY JAM






STRAWBERRY JAM

The strawberries have been so plentiful this year that I am on my 5th batch of strawberry jam. The more I make the faster it finishes.   It would seem that we simply can't have enough of it. I learnt this little trick - which I am going to share with you - use fruit juice like orange or grape as a base, you  will need very little sugar then. Also don't overcook the fruit to keep its goodness. 

5 packets of fresh strawberries, washed and cut in half or left whole
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
as much sugar as you want, I personally use very little as I don't like natural flavours drowned out by the sweetness of sugar. All foods must retain their natural flavours for your palate to remain sharp.

Bring the juice and sugar to a boil. Allow to boil for about five minutes and drop the berries in. Cook for another 5 to 10 min max and put the flame out. Allow to cool. Now strawberries have a high water content so the jam will be liquidy but that's how I like it as the cooking should not destroy the high vitamin C content of the jam. Wash your bottles and microwave them to sterilise them. Fill and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment