Sunday

ROSEMARY FLAVOURED MUTTON POT ROAST 

When pot-roasting always use the meat of a small animal.....that way the meat will always be tender. I  personally do not like lamb (i think it is more smelly and tough compared to goat).  Get the butcher to break up the shank bones so that the juices in the bone end up in the gravy. Merely marinate the meat with lime, salt and pepper. Skin 2 carrots and chop them into big chunks. Take a deep non-stick pan and heat the oil. Put in the chunk of meat and sear on both sides. This seals in the juices in the meat. transfer to a glass baking dish. In the oil add some crushed garlic, some rosemary (fresh or dried - I always dry some at home in the sun regularly and store in tupperware).(Have I mentioned that tupperware containers are god's gift to mankind - nothing ever spoils or loses flavour when stored in tup) and the chopped carrots. Stir for a minute or two and pour into the meat. 
Another must have in my home is homemade stock (which I make with chicken necks and wings and all the outer skins of vegetables). Add the stock to the meat. Cover the dish with foil and bake in a slow oven for an hour and a half) or till done. 
Serve with baked potatoes and sour cream (recipe given on my site) and some steamed french beans. Quite a hearty meal for a winter evening.
In all fairness I cannot take credit for this meal in my kitchen as my son made it. He's an instinctive cook and will make some lucky girl a wonderful husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment